Ecological responsibility is central to the McInnis vision. Since McInnis began in December 2011, every possible step has been taken to make our organization the model of environmental performance.
Our high-technology cement plant is the most efficient and environmentally responsible facility in North America, if not the world. It meets, or exceeds, nearly all of the worldwide cement plant environmental standards, most of which are more restrictive than Canadian regulations.
Features that make our new cement plant the leader of the industry include:
- McInnis cement requires as much as 40% less energy per ton to produce than most other cements
- A significant source of the plant’s electric power is hydroelectricity which is totally renewable, produces no air pollutants and features ultra-low greenhouse gas emissions
- The pyrolysis line has the capabilities to be fired by a variety of fuels, including petroleum coke and locally-generated renewable bio-mass materials
- The plant is equipped with selective non-catalytic reduction to reduce NOx emissions
- The purity of our limestone means naturally lower sulfur content, reducing SO2 emissions
- Indoor warehousing and hermetically sealed conveyance of all raw materials and finished products helps reduce dust
- At least 50 secondary dust control units are installed to augment the primary dust reduction units
- Our dry manufacturing process dramatically reduces water consumption
- The enhanced manufacturing process also includes several gas filtration and clean-up elements
- The facility has been specifically designed so that its appearance and architectural elements are optimally integrated into the existing environment
- Shipping and handling of raw materials by sea and rail reduces the environmental impact normally associated with over-road transportation, while also minimizing traffic and other nuisances associated with truck traffic
- The McInnis fleet of modern transport vessels are some of the least-polluting ships in the world, being powered by low-emission fuels or featuring emission-reducing scrubbers
- McInnis terminals are among the most energy efficient in the world, and where practical, feature photovoltaic solar panels to further reduce energy consumption and greenhouse emissions
Prepared by environmental experts, this study filed with the Ministry of Sustainable Development, Environment and the Fight against Climate Change (MDDELCC) was carefully analyzed by public officials in Canada and represents a comprehensive updated reference documentation on all aspects of the project’s environmental performance.
Beyond the economic effect our organization provides to the communities in which we operate, McInnis plays an active role in community development by supporting causes and projects that positively impact our neighbors.
In Port-Daniel – Gascons, our new facility has already provided a significant economic impact, McInnis holds memberships in Tourisme et Commerce Rocher-Percé and the Baie-des-Chaleurs Chamber of Commerce – and we expect our participation to increase over time.
We also believe in honesty and open lines of communications. As an example, in 2013, McInnis began laying the foundation for an active, respectful presence in the community of Port-Daniel – Gascons by establishing a Community Liaison Committee. The Committee, made up of elected and non-elected local officials and residents, facilitates communication and provides information to the public about the Company to encourage quick, effective problem-solving, ensuring good relations with the community.
The Committee consists of representatives from :
- the Municipality of Port-Daniel– Gascons (1)
- the Rocher-Percé regional Municipality (1)
- the Bonaventure regional Municipality (1)
- Tourisme et Commerce Rocher-Percé (1)
- the Rocher-Percé Agricultural Association (1)
- the Anse McInnis, route de la Rivière and Gascons-Ouest neighborhoods (3)
- McInnis Cement (2)
As we continue our development as a new company, we expect to not only be a reliable source of high-quality cements, but also a source of jobs, economic activities and other benefits to help ensure prosperity in our communities.